Skip to main content

Travel FAQ's

Where can I find the travel voucher forms?

Travel voucher forms as well as the Out of State Travel Request form can be found on the EKU forms website and on the Accounting & Financial Services website under "Forms."

I need help filling out my travel voucher.  Who can I contact?

Here is a sample travel voucher along with step-by-step instructions. If you still have questions, please contact us at 859-622-1810.  Your department's Administrative Assistant can also be a good resource for help with completing your travel voucher.

Where do I find the mileage reimbursement rate?

The current mileage reimbursement rate is posted on the Accounting & Financial Services website.  You can also find it on the State of Kentucky's website.

It is the first day of a new quarter.  Why isn't the mileage rate posted?

The mileage rate is set by the State each quarter.  As soon as the rate is posted on the State's website, we will post it on our website along with an updated travel voucher.

My conference begins on the 10th of the month and ends on the 17th.  Do I have to fly out on the 10th and return on the 17th?

No, the University allows for one travel day before the conference and one travel day after the end of the conference.  Any additional days before or after the conference are considered personal days and are the responsibility of the traveler.

What if I choose to drive instead of fly?

If you choose to drive rather than fly to your destination, your mileage reimbursement cannot exceed the lowest cost of a commercial coach round-trip airfare.  Please attach an airfare quote to your Out of State Travel Request form.

Can I be reimbursed for upgrading my seat on my flight? Can I be reimbursed for puchasing "Preferred Boarding Status?"

Many airlines will allow you to choose your seat or board before other passengers for an additional fee.  Since these are not necessary business expenses, they will not be reimbursed nor should they be charged to the University's pro card.

I do not have an itemized hotel receipt.  How can I get reimbursed for lodging?

Please contact the hotel and have them fax or email you a copy of the itemized hotel folio.

Where do I send my travel voucher?

Please send your travel voucher, along with all required documentation and signatures, to Accounting & Financial Services, Coates CPO 3A.

How can I be sure you have received my travel voucher in your office?

When we receive a travel voucher in our office, it is entered into Banner as an uncompleted document with an amount of .01.  Your can check the FAIVNDH screen under your EKU ID number to see if we have received your voucher.  Ask your department's Administrative Assistant for help if you do not have access to FAIVNDH.

How soon can I expect to receive my travel reimbursement?

Travel vouchers are processed on a first-in, first-out basis generally within seven (7) business days of their receipt in our office.  If your voucher is missing documentation, one of the Accounting Clerks will contact either you or your department.  Your voucher will not be processed until the requested documentation is received.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that my travel voucher is processed quickly?

Yes.  Complete and file your travel voucher as soon as possible after returning from your trip.  Before you submit the voucher to Accounting, make sure that all fields are complete and all necessary signatures have been obtained.

Submit receipts for all expenses incurred.  You will need to provide original receipts for out of pocket expenses.  Copies of receipts are acceptable for expenses charged to the pro card or paid by University check.  If you attended a conference, workshop, meeting, etc., attach a copy of the event agenda.

Accounting archives electronic images of all travel vouchers.  To facilitate this process, all receipts smaller than 8 1/2 x 11 should be taped down on a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  Do not use highlighter and do not tape over any information on the receipts.  Both highlighters and tape can degrade the print on the receipt to the point where it is illegible.

Why is my reimbursement different from the amount I requested and why wasn't I notified about the change?

Accounting & Financial Services audits all travel vouchers for compliance with travel regulations.  This includes reviewing mileage, meals, and receipts and verifying that all expenses for which reimbursement has been requested are allowable.  Due to the volume of documents that are processed daily in our office, we are unable to notify you if your reimbursement has been adjusted.  Images of your audited vouchers can be viewed on EKU Direct.  Please contact your department's Administrative Assistant for help in viewing your vouchers.

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/